Rochie in the city: Crosswalks

"Daddy, Mommy, who is Ped Xing? He's got a lot of streets named after him." 

I usually bugged my parents about these Ped Xing Streets whenever we travel along Taft Avenue. There, in black letters against a yellow background, were the signs that I had always thought was a name of some rich but unheard of Tsinoy who must have donated a whole lot of money to warrant recognition via a street named after him (or her). Years later, in college, as I was going to the Philippine General Hospital with my classmates, I noticed for the first time that the "street name" wasn't on a street perpendicular to Taft Avenue. Instead, it's above a crosswalk. Hmm... that's strange, I thought. Then it hit me.




Ped Xing wasn't a person. Ped Xing meant PEDESTRIAN CROSSING!!

The embarrassing part: I was thinking out loud. My classmates and one of my professors, who were in the van with me, actually heard me exclaim.

Really slow, Rochie, really slow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses