Learning history at the Aquino Museum

Ninoy Aquino is one of those heroes who made people unite for one cause. In Jose Rizal's day, his death sparked the anger of Filipinos leading to the Spanish-Filipino War. In Ninoy's case, his death brought the downfall of President Ferdinand Marcos, who had declared martial law in the country and ruled for 20 years. People had had enough of Marcos' questionable actions and alleged election rigging that they marched on EDSA, catapulting Ninoy's widow, Cory, to the presidency.

I remember the EDSA revolution, not because I was there, but because I was at home on a school day and the rest of my family were at home too. My brother was walking around the house wearing a large yellow shirt with Ninoy's face printed on it (it was too big because my brother was just a toddler then). That's about it. My cousins were on EDSA, of course.

Three decades later, we went to the Aquino Museum in Tarlac to see that period in Philippine history based on how the family and its supporters see it. While Aquinos are still active politically, I am happy to hear that members of the family usually drop by and do tours for visitors... even the late Cory Aquino herself.

Another history adventure for the fambam... as Mommy's vacation in the Philippines drew to a close. Where our feet lead us next, who knows?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 things I learned while driving on Marcos Highway to Baguio City

How MALDI-TOF-MS makes mycobacterium diagnosis faster and more accurate

a crash course on traditional Filipino houses